ABBA Seeks Executive Vice President
American Brahman Breeders Association (ABBA) is seeking qualified candidates for Executive Vice President. This position is responsible for providing the overall leadership for the association’s staff and members. The position will closely interact with all members of the ABBA Board of Directors, committees, vendors and service providers.
The selected candidate would lead one of the global beef industry’s longest running purebred beef associations, represent progressive and committed Brahman breeders on a global level, manage a professional team, represent the association at worldwide beef events and guide the organization as demand for Brahman cattle genetics continue to rise.
Despite being a small U.S. beef breed association, ABBA maintains a large presence on a global scale. Some highlights of ABBA include:
- Positive net membership growth from 2011 to present.
- Increased trend in registration and transfer numbers of Brahman cattle
- Approaching our 100th Anniversary in 2024
- Very strong youth program with one of the largest youth breed associations
The ideal candidate is passionate about the beef industry and has industry leadership and management experience.
For more information, including a job description with a list of qualifications and the application process, please visit www.brahman.org or contact ABBA President Barry Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-240-2086. Applications are due September 15, 2022 and must include a cover letter and professional resume. All applications will be kept strictly confidential.
Title: Executive Vice President
- Manage the association’s daily activities while providing a positive leadership and management climate, and delegating responsibility to employees.
- Understand modern breed registry functions with utmost priority given to prompt and efficient registrations and transfers of cattle. Provide database management oversight, safeguarding the integrity of the association’s herdbook and genetic evaluation.
- Take the lead role in planning and executing key ABBA activities including an annual meeting, International Brahman Show held at Houston Livestock Show each year, board of directors meetings, national junior show, field days, and more.
- Protect the association’s fiscal integrity by working closely with the organization’s accountants and Finance Committee to maintain sound financial practices, including the development and implementation of a realistic annual budget that ensures the long-term financial viability of the association and managing investments. Provide quarterly financial statements to the Board of Directors.
- Collaborate with the association’s geneticist and Performance Committee in the development and implementation of new technologies and tools to strengthen the breed’s genetic evaluation.
- Provide oversight to the association’s vendors and service providers.
- Provide information to beef industry publications to promote ABBA and benefits of Brahman.
- Position ABBA as a valued beef industry member, seeking opportunities to grow the breed’s global footprint and expand the association’s profit centers through partnerships and collaborations.
- Maintain frequent communication with staff, Board of Directors and committees.
- Direct the hiring/dismissal, training and performance reviews of all employees.
- Represent the association at industry events to promote ABBA and Brahman cattle.
- Work with ABBA committees to provide guidance, planning, and execution of activities including but not limited to:
- Develop ABBA’s annual print media and marketing strategy.
- Serve as liaison between ABBA and 29 official ABBA sanctioned livestock shows including judge selection and confirmation, show rules, weighing and measuring, and other rules set forth by the ABBA Show Committee.
- Oversee ABBA Youth Activities director, who manages the American Junior Brahman Association (AJBA).
- Oversee ABBA awards including show points, performance awards, hall of fame, and others.
- Oversee ABBA Bull Test and Carcass Evaluation Program
- Oversee Brahman F-1 program, F1 certification and registry; and EAR program.
- Work in conjunction with the International Committee to secure judges for international Brahman shows, maintain USLGE reports, and promote Brahman on a worldwide level.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred, preferably in animal science, business, finance, agriculture or agri-business. An advanced degree is preferred, but not required.
- Livestock or purebred beef industry background is highly desirable.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priority projects quickly and efficiently under deadlines of a busy office.
- Strong computer skills including understanding of Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, email, and web browsing. Experience with Quickbooks Online a plus.
- Have an understanding of beef cattle genetics and DNA.
- Experience and understanding of association management and a board of directors is strongly preferred.
- Experience working with youth programs is preferred.
- Ability to make travel arrangements for yourself and others.
- Ability to take direction from a Board then visualize, plan, and execute initiatives from start to finish.
- Strategic planning, financial management, personnel/office management and program leadership experience is essential.
- Ability to conceptualize and articulate new ideas and opportunities for the association.
- Skilled communicator with strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to converse knowledgeably and professionally with representatives from diverse backgrounds, within the purebred beef industry, agricultural community and other areas.
- Leadership, integrity and management skills with the ability to work effectively with ABBA staff, producer leadership, vendors, service providers and stakeholders.
Travel Requirements:Travel will be required approximately 30% of the time, including weekends, to local, regional, national and international events. A valid passport is required. ABBA provides an official vehicle for use to and from events.
Location: The ABBA office is located in Bryan, Texas.
Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience. A competitive benefit package is included.
Application Process and Timeline:
Please submit a cover letter, professional resume, and salary requirements to American Brahman Breeders Association, Barry Smith, President at email@example.com.
Initial round of applications will be reviewed September 15, 2022.
Finalists will be selected for interviews and asked to meet with the search committee.
Position to be filled by January 1, 2023.
2022 Summer Board of Director Meetings
June 24th, 2022by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
Join us in Mercedes, TX for the 2022 Summer Board of Director Meetings held in conjunction with the 2022 AJBA All American National Junior Brahman Show! This is a great time to get involved in the association and witness all of the great work our juniors are doing in promoting our breed and developing themselves […]
ABBA E.A.R Program and Bull Development and Marketing Program Postponed until January 2023
April 22nd, 2022by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
The American Brahman Breeders Association Research and Breed Improvement Committee takes great pride in offering programs to our membership that help improve the Brahman breed and allow for the collection of valuable research data. The ABBA Bull Development & Marketing Program is designed to provide Brahman breeders with the opportunity to develop bulls, collect economically […]
Summer Internship Opportunity
March 31st, 2022by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
The American Junior Brahman Association is currently accepting applications for our summer internship. The purpose of this internship is to provide a well-rounded, versatile internship and learning experience for a college student who is interested in breed association work, communications, and youth development. This main focus of this internship is to assist with the planning […]
2022 International Brahman Show
November 30th, 2021by Super UserSuper User
Brahmans are headed back to Houston! We are excited to announce that the 2022 International Brahman Show will be held once again in conjunction with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo at NRG Center in Houston, TX! We would like to invite all of our members, breeders and Brahman enthusiasts to join us February 28 […]
2022 Winter Board of Director & Committee Meetings
November 18th, 2021by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
The 2022 Winter Board of Director and Committee Meetings will be held in Fort Worth, TX January 16-17, 2022 held in Conjunction with the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo. We would like to invite each of you to join us! Meetings start up on Sunday Afternoon with Finance and Executive Committee Meetings at the […]
Fall 2021 ABBA Board of Director & Committee Meetings
October 21st, 2021by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
The Fall 2021 ABBA Board of Directors and Committee Meetings will take place November 1-2, 2021 at the Fort Bend County Fairgrounds in Rosenberg, TX prior to the 2021 National Brahman Show. We invite each of you to join us- meeting room assignments will be announced in the coming days as they become available, but […]
HC Neel Joins ABBA as Director of Association Services
August 17th, 2021by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
The ABBA is excited to announce a new addition to our team, HC Neel, IV came on board as the Director of Association Services the beginning of August and truly hit the ground running. HC will be working closely with the Research and Breed Improvement Committee to facilitate multiple programs to our membership, including the […]
Summer Board of Director and Committee Meetings
August 9th, 2021by Super UserSuper User
The 2021 Summer Board of Director and Committee Meetings will be held in College Station, TX August 12-13, 2021. A complete schedule of meetings and locations can be found below. Committee meetings will begin on Thursday at the ABBA Headquarters located at 1920 West Villa Maria Road, Bryan, TX. We will reconvene on Friday Morning […]
ABBA/ AJBA Scholarship Applications
April 12th, 2021by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
We are just 75 Days away from the 2021 All American National Junior Brahman Show in Hattiesburg, MS. We could not be more excited to be back together with are Brahman Family at one of the most prestigious events we offer. Each year the AJBA presents more than $50,000 in scholarships thanks to the donations […]
2021 ABBA Spring Board of Director & Committee Meetings
April 9th, 2021by Morgan ThomasMorgan Thomas
The ABBA Spring Board of Director & Committee Meetings will be held in College Station, TX May 6-7, 2021. All meetings will be held at the Texas A&M Hotel and Conference Center directly across from Kyle Field. We will kick off the meetings on Thursday with Finance and Executive Committee Meetings and will resume at […]
Position Announcement: Director of Youth Activities and Communications
August 3rd, 2022by ABBA Communications CommitteeABBA Communications Committee
American Brahman Breeders Association (ABBA) is seeking qualified candidates for Youth Activities / Communications Director. This position is responsible for the association’s communications services and overseeing the American Junior Brahman Association. The position will closely interact with all members of the ABBA Board of Directors, AJBA Board of Directors, Youth Committee, Communications Committee, vendors and […]