Henry Clay Koontz Memorial Trophy
The HK Memorial Trophy is presented each year in memory of Mr. Henry Clay Koontz. This award was first presented in 1986 after the tragic death of Mr. Koontz who was a long time breeder and promoter of Brahman cattle. The trophy is a bronze casting of the National Champion Bull, HK Mr. America 61/9, better known as Millionaire. This bull had one of the biggest impacts on the Brahman breed of any bull in history. Each year this award is presented to the ranch or individual who accumulates the most points at the previous year’s International Brahman Show.
LETTER FROM MRS. MARY SUE KOONTZ NELSON
The Henry Clay Koontz Memorial Trophy has been presented annually to the Brahman breeder with the highest earned points in the Show Ring at the International Show. This bronze sculpture has become a coveted award, as it recognizes the dedication of those Brahman exhibitors who continually promote our breed through this highly competitive process.
Now, after over twenty years, we have decided to give this trophy to the American Brahman Breeders Association with deep affection and many memories. It is our hope that you will continue this annual tradition for us.
The trophy, which is a bronze sculpture of our herd sire, The HK Millionaire 61/9, is by the famed artist, Sonny Timme. It was created from his sketches and molds made of The HK Millionaire on site in 1985. There were only five replicas of this bronze fired before the mold was destroyed. It is a bronze replica of a National Champion that, in many ways, changed the breed.
For our family, the purpose of the trophy was twofold: to honor a man who cared deeply for his Brahman cattle, and to honor those association members who have taken the breed to the forefront by means of the show string. No one is more aware than I am of the time, the expense and the energy it takes to develop a champion!
I thank you for the privilege bestowed on me and my family in allowing us to honor a most beloved man with this tribute … as well as honoring those who have followed so closely in his footsteps. Please accept this trophy with our blessings.
Mary Sue Koontz Nelson
HK TROPHY POINT TABLUATION
- 1. Seven points to champion bull and cow
- 2. Five points to reserve champion bull and cow
- 3. Five points to each division champion (calf, junior, intermediate and senior)
- 4. Three points to each division reserve champion
- 5. Two points to each class winner
- 6. Five points to the exhibitor of the first place winners of the produce-of-dam, embryo-produce-of-dam, and get-of-sire classes.
- 7. In case of a tie, one point will be awarded to the second place class winner of both sex divisions.
- 8. In cases of multiple owned animals, points will be evenly divided amongst all owners.