2017 DNA Rules have been postponed and will be reevaluated at the 2019 Winter Board Meeting
Prepare NOW for NEW DNA Requirements
Effective January 1, 2017 the new ABBA DNA Requirements will take effect. To prepare for these requirements please familiarize yourself with the rules and plan ahead. The following is a summary of the rules:
ABBA Members that pasture breed cows in single sire units will not be required to DNA calves for parental verification before registering them. These animals will not be required to be DNA parent verified unless and until beginning 1-1-17 if:
- Animals that are shown in ABBA Approved Open Shows only (Does not include AJBA show or State shows unless required by them)
- Animals are sold in ABBA Sponsored Sales (currently would include the International Sale, and the Spring and Fall Select Sales).
- Animals that are included in ABBA Research Programs. (Currently would be annual carcass evaluation program and performance tested bull program.)
EMBRYO TRANFER RULES. Effective 1-1-17 animals submitted for registration must be DNA Parent Verified prior to registration. To prepare for this the sires and dams of these animals should be fingerprinted now and then the calf tested at a young age to ensure that the results will be back prior to registration to prevent any delays.
AI RULES. Effective 1-1-19 (two years and 4 months) animals resulting from artificial insemination must be DNA profiled and verified to the SIRE ONLY prior to registration. HOWEVER, any animal resulting from AI must be parent identified effective 1-1-17 if:
- Animals are shown in ABBA Approved Open Shows only (Does not include AJBA show or State shows unless required by them)
- Animals are sold in ABBA Sponsored Sales (currently would include the International Sale, and the Spring and Fall Select Sales.
- Animals are placed in ABBA Research Programs. (Currently would be carcass evaluation program and performance tested bull program.)
Order a Test Kit – $25
There are now two ways to start the DNA Parent Verification Process:
- To order a test kit you can contact the ABBA Office and submit the registration numbers of the animals to be tested. The office will send you the test kit and order form to be submitted to the lab. Once the results are received they will be attached to the animals account, will be forwarded to you and you will receive an invoice.
- Request test kits from the ABBA Office. At your convenience you can collect the samples, download and complete the form and submit the lab of your choice.
- DNA Parent Verification is $25.
Do I need to test my current show animals for them to be eligible to show in 2017. NO. ONLY animals born after January 1, 2017 MUST be DNA Parent Verified prior to showing. ALL other animals born prior to this are exempt.
If I have an ET calf that is born in the Fall of 2016 do I need to DNA the sire, dam and calf. YES. ALL ET Registrations submitted after January 1, 2017 no matter their age MUST be parent verified (calf must match sire & dam).
What should I be doing right now to prepare to meet the DNA Requirements. You should insure that all sires and dams that have ET calves to be born have a fingerprint on file.
I have semen on a bull that was previously blood typed. Do I need to DNA fingerprint him? YES. After January 1, 2017 ALL ET calves MUST be parent verified and after January 1, 2019 ALL AI calves must be parent verified. If the sire does not have a DNA sample on file the calf cannot be verified to the sire.
I have a donor that we flushed several years ago who was bloodtyped. Do I need to DNA her? YES. After January 1, 2017 ALL ET calves must be Parent Verified and if the cow does not have DNA on file the calf cannot be confirmed to the dam.
I have a donor that has previously died and we recently put embryos from her in. what do I do? You will need to test 4 of her progeny to derive a DNA type.
Should I test my whole herd to prepare for the new DNA Requirements? If you are not flushing and do not plan to show, participate in the ABBA Bull Test or Carcass Evaluation Program or market in one of the 3 ABBA Sales you DO NOT need to test you whole herd.